As explained in our ►English Information, during the day, there is always a train (every hour, and, in some moments of the days, every half an hour) that goes from Salerno to Pompeii in 40 minutes.
Arriving to the ruins is really easy:
- First of all, arriving from Salerno by train, you will reach the Pompeii station of Trenitalia – Ferrovie dello Stato (this information will be useful especially on the way back, because this station should not be confused with the Pompei station of Circumvesuviana, which is in another position and from which it is not possible to return to Salerno).
- In front of the station begins Via Sacra (first road in red on the map). This road must be traveled in full, and, turning slightly to the left at the height of the Municipality of Pompeii (town hall), you arrive directly at Via Roma (in about 5/6 minutes).
- Via Roma (the second red road on the map) leads directly to Piazza Anfiteatro (in about 3/4 minutes).
- The ticket office is on the right.
On the way back, Via Roma leads not only to Via Sacra but also to the Sanctuary of the Beata Vergine del Rosario. If you still have energy, we recommend passing by to admire the breathtaking interior of the Sanctuary.
Therefore, to make Salerno – Pompeii (round trip), the 2 reference stations are:
- Salerno centro station (the central station), which appears on the Trenitalia website with the simple name: “SALERNO”;
- Pompeii station (the central station), which appears on the Trenitalia website with the simple name: “POMPEI”.
Moreover, we do not recommend the purchase of the train ticket with destination: “Pompei Scavi” (that is: ”Excavations of Pompeii”); in this case, in fact, in addition to the cost of the train, there is also the cost of a shuttle-bus that from the train station reaches Piazza Anfiteatro (however, especially in case of traffic, it’s possible to reach this square much faster on foot!).
Here, on the official website (already in english) of Trenitalia, it’s possible to check the trains Salerno – Pompei: http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en
Free luggage storage services are available at the gates of Piazza Anfiteatro and Porta Marina. It is not allowed to bring bags, backpacks, luggage, cases, whose dimensions exceed 30x30x15 cm into the excavations of Pompeii. It is also possible to leave airplane suitcases or very large backpacks in the luggage storage.
Inside the Pompeii excavations there is a refreshment point, behind the Temple of Jupiter.